Sunday, February 8, 2009

Journal 5: Festivals

Hi Mr Lau, the festival I celebrate is Chinese New Year, reason being I am Chinese, and the Chinese celebrate this festival. Before the festival, I would have a reunion dinner with my family. Then during the festival, my family and I would go visit our relatives and 拜年. We would have the exchange of oranges and the giving of hong-baos during the whole festival. Other festivals which are celebrated are Deepavali and Hari Raya Puasa. They are celebrated by the Hindus and Malys respectively. I think that the celebration of the various festivals help in strengthening racial harmony among the various race in Singapore as they bring the different races together and show each other about their cultures and histories. We can group different races together and hold a race, which includes questions about the different races and cultures. Even if I have the freedom to propose a new festival, I would nt do so as I already like our current festivals and they should be permanent forever.

No comments: